Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rhubarb Muffins


When I was a kid, Judy P. made rhubarb muffins that I loved. I always looked forward to being at her house when there were fresh muffins and when I used to work at her fishcamp, we made these muffins all the time. For years I've been thinking that I need to just ask her for the recipe because I still think about those muffins.

Last summer when I was in Kodiak I finally asked, and Judy copied the recipe onto a lovely postcard for me when she came out to Chiniak for my mom's birthday. I've been looking at that postcard all winter and finally got around to making them today with the last of my rhubarb from last summer (I really don't know why it took me so long). They are just as good as I remember. Now I just have to find some people to help me eat the remaining 19 muffins.

These muffins are from Cooking Alaskan and apparently won second place at the Tanana Valley Fair Bake-off in 1980. Judy has always used 1/2 cup less brown sugar than what the recipe calls for and doesn't add a topping. I did the same. I also substituted half of the oil with applesauce and used only 1 1/2 cups white flour and 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. Next time I will also use more rhubarb. You can never have too much rhubarb.

Rhubarb Muffins

1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour milk (or yogurt)
1 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
1/2 cup walnuts
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Topping:
2 tsp melted butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Beat brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla, and sour milk. Add rhubarb and walnuts.

In separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Add liquid ingredients and stir only until moistened.

Spoon into greased and floured muffin cups.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Makes about 20-24 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment