Thursday, September 6, 2012

Hiking in Snoqualmie Pass

Huckleberries
On our way up to pick huckleberries
Last weekend I had the chance to enjoy some of this amazing weather in the Cascades up in Snoqualmie Pass. I've never really spent any time here at the end of August or beginning of September and that's the best time to go hiking because the snow has finally melted but it's still warm (even hot sometimes).

On Saturday we checked out my favorite (ok, my only) huckleberry patch in a clear cut on the Mt. Margaret trail. We found lots of berries but a lot of them weren't ripe yet. I think in another week or two they will be at their peak.

On Sunday Stephanie and I did a 12 mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail from Snoqualmie Pass to the Kendall Katwalk and Gravel Lake. The first ~3 1/2 miles of this hike are in the woods. It was nice to be in the shade. Even though this hike gains a lot of elevation (2700' I think), it's a really nice trail with an easy grade. Once you get up high to break out into talus and meadow slopes with amazing views of Mt. Rainier and the peaks near Snoqualmie Pass.

The Kendall Katwalk is a ledge along a rock face that was blasted by dynamite crews suspended from ropes. It was very cool and the trail was wider than I expected it to be, but it is still not for anyone scared of heights!

We kept going after the katwalk another mile down to Gravel Lake, another turquoise alpine lake with crystal clear water. It had perfect rocks to jump off of, so after lunch I took a dive - shockingly cold of course, but it was easy to warm up in the sunshine.

Stephanie and I on the Kendall Katwalk
Stephanie on the Katwalk

Gravel Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment