Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Home for a week!

Blueberry picking at Mile High Pass


I'm home again for a break and it is a good time of year to be home. The weather is still nice and the berries are ripe! The weather was supposed to be rainy, however, considering Kotzebue consistently has temps in the low 40's and 20+ mph winds, a drizzly 60 degrees didn't sound all that bad. And it hasn't been, mostly it hasn't even rained.

It is shaping up to be a very good blueberry year in the Anchorage area. It seems early, but I just looked back at our blog posts from last year and we started picking blueberries on August 9 last year, so I guess we aren't really much earlier this year. The berries might just be bigger and better this year though.

I also wanted to try fireweed blossom jelly this year after hearing about it from a friend in Kotzebue. I was bummed to see when I got home that the fireweed down low is almost over, but we did find some up high at Mile High Pass. I haven't really tasted the fireweed jelly yet, but it sure turned out pretty!


Yesterday we biked most of the length of Eklutna Lake which I've never done before. Such a beautiful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment