Thursday, March 17, 2011

From the Archives: 2006 Fieldwork

A helicopter coming to pick us up at the end of the day
flying home in a helicopter at the end of the day
Mary and I
When I was in Fairbanks last week, my friend Mary gave me some photos she took when we were working in interior Alaska back in 2006. Looking back at these photos made me think of Patrick's blog post recently about time passing. It's amazing how you don't realize how much things have changed until you look back at the old photos.

In 2006 I was still in Fairbanks living in a cabin with no running water. I had been out of college for a year and I was about to start grad school. The job I had that summer was the longest field project I've worked on; I worked on the same survey from the middle of May until the middle of September. Despite seeming to drag on forever, it was a really cool project to be involved in. We flew in helicopters almost every day, saw some of the most amazing views of the Alaska Range I have ever seen, and did some exciting archaeology. These photos remind me of why I love what I do, and why I do it. It's this time of year, after being in a lab/office all winter, that I look forward to going in the field the most. Only two more months and I'll be in Kodiak for a survey on the south end of the island.

The thing that struck me most about these photos though? We look so young!

No comments:

Post a Comment