Sunday, July 17, 2011

Raspberry Syrup and Megan in Seattle






Our friend Megan was up here this weekend from southern California where she goes to law school now. It was fun to have her "home." For the last couple of years Megan (and her boyfriend, Grant) were some of my only non-grad school friends. I miss them, but I know they are enjoying being back in school (as much as anyone can enjoy grad school) and living in sunny southern California. Megan wanted to do some of her favorite Seattle things - go to Pike Place Market where she used to shop all the time when she lived downtown and eat at Bonefish Grill.

We also made raspberry syrup while she was here with berries we bought at the market. This was my first attempt at making syrup and using cheesecloth. The syrup turned out amazing but the cheesecloth was a bit of learning experience. Let's just say it's a good thing Ryan wasn't home when this happened and it's a good thing I managed to clean up all the raspberry juice before it stained our white counter tops. Besides the straining incident, the process was rather straightforward. I boiled almost one flat of raspberries (quite a few were lost to my mouth) and about 3/4 cup sugar for about 20 minutes. Then I strained out the seeds and pulp. I ended up with just over a pint of juice. I poured half of it into a bottle and put it in the fridge. I canned the other half (boiling it for 10 minutes to get it to seal).

No comments:

Post a Comment