Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rhubarb Cobbler and Cake

Rhubarb, strawberry, blueberry cobbler


Catherine Z.'s famous rhubarb cake before...

...and after
When we first came home from Palmer with all this rhubarb last week, I made a cobbler with rhubarb, strawberries, blueberries, and my mom's oatmeal topping. It didn't last long and a couple of nights later I made Catherin Z.'s rhubarb cake. Catherine Z. is the graduate program coordinator for the anthropology department (pretty much the most important position in the department, especially if you're a graduate student). Her rhubarb cake is also famous among the grad students.

I had heard about this cake before, but this was the first time I had tried it. I was not disappointed; it is amazing! So light and fluffy and delicious. And easy to make. I made it again on Sunday to take to a 4th of July party. Here is the recipe:

Rhubarb Cake

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or sour milk)
2 cups flour
2 cups rhubarb cut into 1/4" pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup white sugar

Cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Mix soda and buttermilk together separately, and add alternately to the mix with flour. Mix well. Add rhubarb. Pour into 9x14" well-greased pan. Mix cinnamon and white sugar together and sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350F for 35 min (or until toothpick comes out clean).

Catherine has also made this with peaches and said it turned out great. I added a few strawberries the second time I made it and that was good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment