Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Typical Early Spring Sunday at my House

Wet freshly cut grass
Last night I checked the weather and Yahoo had the rain symbol for the next five days straight, so I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up and it was fairly nice. I knew I should use the opportunity to mow the lawn (our grass has needed to be cut since October). But I have a hard time motivating in the morning on the weekends. So I settled for sitting on the couch for a couple of hours doing class prep for the course I'm teaching next quarter.

In the late morning the sun came out so I finally went out and inspected the lawn, But the grass was still wet, so I went for a 5 mile run instead (it was so nice in the sun!). Then I showered and ate lunch. I really should have mowed the lawn then. But I was so tired (longest run in about three months)! I convinced myself a few house chores were just as worthy of my attention. I saw my neighbor outside mowing his lawn in a T-shirt. I stalled and did even more class work.

Finally, around 3 I decided to go for it; I pulled the mower out and and tried to start it - several times - no luck. Checked the gas. Tried again, finally started with a plume of nasty exhaust and ran for approximately 1 second, stalled. Several tries later, it started again. About one minute later it started to rain. And then pour. But I'd already started and the grass had been so overgrown that it would have looked really dumb if I had quit half-way through. Then the mower died again and I couldn't get it started. Being inept at anything to do with engines, I did the only thing I know how to do - put more gas in it. After several more tries it started again. Then stalled, then started, until I finally got the front yard completely mowed. The whole time I was just thinking I should have known better, this is Seattle, it can rain at any moment! (not the first time I've had to mow in the rain).

I'll just ignore the backyard now until next time the sun comes out on a weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment