Sunday, May 12, 2013

Olympic Peninsula




I went to the Olympic Peninsula this weekend to get out of town since our house is now on the market. Our main goal was to go to the Makah Museum in Neah Bay. The museum displays many of the artifacts found in the Ozette site - a 500 year old Makah village buried by a mudslide and excavated by archaeologists from WSU and the Makah tribe in the 1970's. Because the site was wet, all sorts of organic material was preserved that we don't often find in other archaeological sites - the planks of houses, wooden artifacts, baskets, cedar blankets, rope, nets, etc. For an archaeologists, finding a site with kind of preservation Ozette has is an amazing opportunity. Seeing the museum is something I wanted to check off my list before I moved back to Alaska. It's a five hour drive out to Neah Bay, but I'm glad I went!

We camped at Sol Duc in Olympic National Park last night- soaked in the hot springs and then checked out Sol Duc Falls this morning. It rained pretty much the whole time we were there, but I expected no less from the Olympic Rainforest.

No comments:

Post a Comment