Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Lost Lake Blueberries and Huckleberries




Plump high bush blueberries



Ryan in an alpine blueberry/huckleberry patch



Ann Marie in a lovely alpine blueberry patch



Huckleberries and blueberries

I know that I said Bold Ridge had the best blueberry patch I had ever seen, but I may have spoken too soon. The Lost Lake Trail actually has the best blueberry patches you can imagine, and they're high bush too! These high bush blueberries are not only at convenient heights for picking, they are the biggest blueberries I've ever seen in the wild. They rival cultivated ones.

To make the weekend even better, I discovered that huckleberries grow along the Lost Lake Trail as well. I didn't even know we had huckleberries in this part of Alaska! I've been missing huckleberries from Washington for the last couple of years so I am happy to know I can pick them only a couple of hours from home. I'm already planning my next trip!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment