Monday, February 28, 2011

Five Mile Lake Triathlon

Finishing the Five Mile Lake Triathlon last year


I've been feeling so good with my swimming/biking/running routine that I think I'm going to sign up for the Five Mile Lake Triathlon in Auburn, WA again this year. Anybody want to do it with me?? I did this tri last June, right after school ended and right before I left for Alaska. I would just like to give myself props for doing a triathlon only two weeks after my general exam. I am still amazed that I had the energy and self-discipline to train for a triathlon while studying for my exam. Despite feeling like grad school has consumed the last four years of my life, I think I actually have gotten better at my work and fun balancing skills.

Now that I'm familiar with traithlons and specifically with the Five Mile Lake course, I'm hoping to improve my time this year. I was right in the middle of the pack for my age-group last year but I kicked butt in the swim, if I do say so myself. I had the 80th fastest time for the 1/4 mi swim, out of 277 men and women. Unfortunately the swim only takes about 7 min, so it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference in your final time. I am sure I can improve my bike time this year and that will definitely help.

I'm hoping it will be warmer for the triathlon this year though! Last year is was a chilly and drizzly 50 degrees. The lake was pretty cold and my feet never really warmed up after the swim. I might rent a wet suit this year if it looks like it's going to be cold again.

No comments:

Post a Comment