Friday, February 18, 2011

Fondant Adventures and Graham Bread

Experimenting with the corners

cutting out dots
serving the cake with some friends over
I've been wanting to try cake decorating with fondant for a few months and decided Valentine's Day was a good excuse to give it a try. Usually I do the cake decorating on my own and with the exception of cleaning up, Ryan usually stays out of the way. This time he graciously offered to roll out the fondant. I was SO happy to have his help!

Overall my first fondant experiment was a success. I did learn some important lessons though. First lesson: do not try to heat up the fondant, even if it feels like a brick. This will only cause the fondant to become sticky. Second: do not add anything, other than water and vanilla extract, to the fondant. The texture of the fondant is very important. I added a little bit of cocoa powder, thinking it would make the fondant brown and add chocolate flavoring. Instead, it completely ruined the consistency and it was nearly impossible to use. I did manage to get a few brown circles for the cake, but not nearly as many as I had hoped. Third: the fondant can be (carefully) molded to fit even a square cake. I did not realize this when I started and tried to cut the corners to make the fondant fit. Only later did I google "fondant square cake" to find a YouTube video with instructions. I should have done that first!

I also tried a new cake recipe this time too. My aunt Judy recently sent me a cookbook called "Heavenly Cakes." It has so many delicious-sounding cakes that it was hard to pick just one, but I ended up going with a spice cake. It was delicious! Even though we had a few small mishaps with the fondant, I did love the final product (look at the Feb. 12 post to see a photo).

Ryan did more experimenting with the graham flour. He made a cinnamon raisin bread from the recipe on the back of the graham flour bag. The loaves came out perfect, so delicious!

Ryan kneading the graham bread

Cinnamon raisin graham bread - yum!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting!!! I've never used fondant or graham flour... I sense some experimenting coming along!

    ReplyDelete