Friday, June 10, 2011

Mint Lemonade

My cousin Ann Marie has a Vitamix (which she is in love with) and the last time I was at her house, she made me basil lemonade. It was amazing and I haven't been able to get it off my mind since. Feeling especially summery today (60 degrees may be cool for Seattle this time of year, but after being in Kodiak it feels like summer to me!), I headed to the store to get the ingredients to make lemonade in my own blender.

I was about to buy fresh basil when I saw the mint. It reminded me that we have mint growing all over our yard. So I bought two lemons and then came home and picked a small handful of fresh mint. I briefly glanced at a recipe on the internet for mint lemonade but I didn't really follow it. I just peeled the two lemons and put them in the blender with the mint, maybe 3/4 cup of sugar, and maybe 3 cups of water. I just sort of kept adding things until it tasted good with out really keeping track. I also added about 1/2 bottle of lemon juice I'd had open in the fridge after I had watered it down too much. We ended up with a yummy lemonade. I'm definitely going to get some more lemons tomorrow and try to perfect it, so stay tuned for updates on good proportions.

And perhaps it is fitting that the glass I happened to choose is one that Ann Marie gave us when she worked at the Alaska Salmon Bake in Fairbanks!

Update: This is the round two, perfected mint lemonade recipe:

3 peeled lemons
a handful of fresh mint leaves
5 ice cubes
2 1/2 cups water
3/4 - 1 cup sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment