Sunday, June 16, 2013

Raspberries


It is shaping up to be a fantastic raspberry year here and sadly, I don't think they are going to ripen before I leave. I wasn't sure it was going to be a good year because I forgot to trim the bushes back until this spring when they started leafing out. But it doesn't seem to have mattered - they are all covered in fruit and falling over. Even the tiny patch on the other side of the yard that I transplanted a couple of years ago finally has some berries.

Raspberries might just be my favorite berry. I have certainly never met a berry I didn't like, but raspberries, fresh home-grown ones anyway, can't be beat. This patch in particular is hard to leave because it has taken so little maintenance and produces such a large amount of berries in a small area that I doubt I'll ever have such a good patch in Alaska (and definitely not at our condo!). But, we won't have to go far to find wild blueberries in Eagle River.

Believe me, I will be checking on this patch up until the day before we sell the house next week just to make sure there aren't a few ripe ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment