Saturday, February 25, 2012

Snow and Baking Fail


I spoke too soon. I woke up to a good dusting of wet snow this morning. It didn't last long though. Still, it was a bit chillier than it has been in weeks.

I made zucchini bread tonight and had one of those awesome absent-minded kitchen mishaps (I blame them on the grad school brain.) While the zucchini bread was in the oven I glanced at it a couple of times through the window and was surprised at how slow it was cooking, but didn't think too hard about it. When the timer went off and it didn't look done, I just added 5 minutes and went back to what I was doing.


After it went off again the bread still looked completely under-baked. I took it out of the oven just to make sure I was right (which I was). I thought about how I had preheated the oven, how I was sure I set it at the right temp, and then thought "what the $%^&? I KNOW the oven was set at 400!" Then I looked at the oven dial and saw this:


And it clicked. Rewind about a half an hour. I was sitting at the table with my back to the stove/counter eating my leftover quiche which I had warmed in the toaster oven. I heard the toaster oven click like it does when the heating element is cylcing on and off and realized I'd forgotten to turn it off when I took my quiche out (I guess that was kitchen fail #1 of the night). So I stood up, turned around, and ... shut off the OVEN?!? Really? I guess that's what I did because a while later I noticed the toaster oven was still on, but again, not thinking too hard, I just turned it off.

After I finished my quiche, I went out to the garage to hang up a load of laundry, washed the dishes, cleaned the counters, all before the timer went off for the zucchini bread. All that time, the oven wasn't even on!! Smooth.



Luckily this was not my worst ever kitchen fail. But it does seem that I am on a roll. The other night I loaded the crock pot up with vegetables and then almost went to bed without plugging it in. The zucchini bread did turn out great though and the recipe is below.

Healthy Zucchini Bread

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease one loaf pan.

1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
5/8 cup sugar
1/8 cup oil
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 banana
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini
1/2 cup raisins or dates or walnuts

Whisk dry ingredients together

In a separate bowl beat eggs. Add wet ingredients.

Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mix until just combined.

Fold in zucchini and raisins/dates/walnuts.

Bake 45-50 min or until knife comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment