Friday, February 24, 2012

Spring


Can you believe it's still February!?! Perhaps blossoms in the winter are only amazing to a girl from Alaska, but really, how can you complain about the weather when you can walk around in a T-shirt long before spring break? Two years ago I saw this same tree bloom in January.

Having grown up on Kodiak where winter starts September 1 and ends May 31, 72" of annual rain is normal, and hurricane-force winds are not unusual, I believe I have a unique appreciation for the mild weather of Seattle. The mere 36" of rain each year and the "grey gloom" don't phase me. In fact, I love it. In my book, it really doesn't rain much here - rarely do I see an entire day go by without a break in the rain. Quite honestly, I've come to realize that I just can't handle sun every day. The pale skin and light eyes can only take the rays in small doses. And after having lived in Fairbanks, I will gladly take a 40-degree rainy day over 40 below anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment